Thursday, December 24, 2009

goldeneyes galore

A great day with two great aspiring duck hunters! Brock and Wyatt

A good bunch of goldeneyes, a good wife, and a good dog. A man can't ask for anything better than that.

Tanya with her goldeneye drake, Bones wont look at the camera because he is looking for the next duck!

Bones and his hard earned duck



Bones on the way back in


Well, you have to give a nod to duck hunters in Montana. Its cold, the water is cold, the dog is cold the, the hunters are cold, and for what? all for a pile of goldeneyes, and the hope that one more will cup its wings and grace us with its presence. Bones swimming through the freezing water. Always waiting for the next bird. So what happens when the duck comes in....Bang....Bang...Bang...and nothing. You missed, Bones goes and gets one of the birds from the pile and reminds you of your JOB.....He says you shoot (and hit them).........and I go get them......git it together back there. I cant say I am a dog trainer, and I give Bones so much credit for picking up on the game. The dog gives one hundred percent and does not stop looking for ducks until all the decoys are picked up and you are headed home. Tanya and I are fortunate to have a dog with such natural talent. Over my last three days off, I had great company in the duck blind, Tanya joined me once, Wyatt, Brock, and Brad (Wyatt's father), and bones were with me as well. We all had a great time. My good friend Karl wrote a post about the future of hunting and the importance of the next generation of hunters. We all need to do our part and expose our youth to nature and the outdoors, as they are the future protectors of habitat, our sport, and the environment.
On another note we hope you all find yourself with friends and family, enjoying the holidays in the days to come. our best wishes to you all for the New Year.

No comments: