Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kimber's first fishing trip!

Parenting has taught me a lot in the last few years, here are a couple of the lessons...
  1. Parenting is a humbling experience and will make you rethink the times you have stood in line at the grocery store and judged the poor women with the screaming toddler.  The first time you say your child will "never do that" you have jinxed yourself.
  2. I think that being a parent makes me a better person.  Now that I have two kids am I going to be twice as good of a person?  Or am I going to go a little insane? 
  3. Choose your battles, then stand behind your choice. 
  4. Be patient.  Be patient.  Be patient.  and then when you are about to blow, remember we are the adults.  (So much easier said then done)
  5. Teach kindness...  there isn't enough of it in the world.
Today I learned a few things about being a parent of two children...
  1. Just let go...  the fish goo will wash off the lovey, eating a peanut butter sandwich without washing your hands wont kill you, (if you catch something we can probably get a medicine to treat it), and Dane probably will be done with the binky by the time he goes to college.
  2. My hubby has the patience of a Saint.  Okay, I already knew that, but it was reinforced today. 
  3. As soon as you start changing a diaper or nursing a baby, you will catch a fish and Dane will be trying to crawl over the top of you and Kimber to get the net that is buried under everything.  Did I mention my hubby is very patient.
  4. Watching Dane reel in a fish with his Daddy, or drive the boat with his Daddy make ever moment of chaos and stress worth it. 
  5. Spending time with my family, whether in the outdoors or at home, is simply amazing!
Some pictures of our trip...