Thursday, April 11, 2013

By Request - Delicious Kale Crackers

As most of you know I'm always on the quest to make healthy things for the family.  Luckily, my kids and hubby are super relaxed and are pretty much willing to try anything!  Since we have such a love for kale, I saw a kale cracker recipe and tried it one day.  My first attempt was okay, but I played around with it and have come up with something that Clint, Kimber and I like.  Dane is still on the fence; he is an old school kale chips kind of guy and prefers his kale straight up baked with a little olive oil.  So, he is a little offended by everything else that I have added! :)

I know that this recipe won't appeal to some of you, but I did have a couple requests for the recipe, and thought I would go ahead and post it.  We like to dip them in guacomole, hummus, or just eat them as a snack.  They aren't exactly ritz, but I'd venture to say that they are a fair amount healthier!!! :)

Ingredients:
one bunch kale (rinsed, stems removed, and torn into pieces)
1/3 cup roasted almonds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup flax meal
2 TB chia seeds
1.5 TB soy sauce
2 tsp sesame seed oil
1 tsp olive oil

Place kale in food processor and chop.
Add other ingredients one at a time, turning on food processor in-between additions; ending with liquid ingredients.  If more liquid is needed you can add a tiny amount of water to help bind the mixture.
Place cracker dough onto parchment paper on a flat surface.  Roll out until very thin...  I have found the thinner the better.  Score with a pizza roller or sharp knife.

I like to use a baking stone for mine, however a cookie sheet would work fine.

Bake at 225/250 until done.  Usually 2.5 or 3 hours. I usually turn mine a couple times while baking.

The great thing about this recipe is that you could really adapt to fit your own taste.  We love the soy sauce/sesame oil flavor but you could use just olive oil or whatever.  You could add different spices like garlic or onion and I have even added carrots when I chop the kale.  (however that adds more moisture so you will have to alter the amount of liquid and baking time)  You can also leave out things that you don't have or use a different type of flour, and I'm sure it would come out fine!


I hope you enjoy, let me know how you adapt it in your own delicious ways!

No comments: