Sunday, January 2, 2011

A nice long weekend!

Despite not getting to go ice fishing at the cabin...  we had a fantastic weekend!  I took last Thursday off so that we could spend an extra day out at the cabin, but the weather was really cold and snowy...  I mean subzero temps, about 8 inches of snow in about 24 hours (for us that's a lot) and wind...  too much for us to take 2 little ones out on the ice.  As you have probably noticed, we don't have an ice house, so we are kind of at the mercy of the elements.  The cabin is only a place that we go when we can get out and recreate.  16 x 20 feet is not enough room to stay sane when you are trapped inside with the kids all day...  so we decided to stay home and make sausage.  Woo hoo!  Not necessarily the most fun alternative, but we always enjoy the end product.
I had told Dane he didn't have to go to "school" on Thursday (and Friday) so even though we were processing meat, he stayed home with us.  So with Kimber on our backs and Dane on the chair next to us we got started!
I wear gloves when processing...  mostly because that makes it is easier to go from meat duty to baby duty.  The burger really sticks to your hands and with gloves I just have to wash, not scrub and scrub.
Well, Dane thought he needed gloves too!
Here is Dane helping grind.  We ended up  making about 100 lbs of burger and sausage!
 We did the grinding on Thursday and then we stuffed on Friday.  Here is Dane...  once again a great helper!
Stuffing the summer sausage

 Then on Saturday we went shopping, made our thank you's for Christmas, baked bread, and hung out!  I got a new vacuum for Christmas and one of the parts was broken.  So, we took it back and got a good one.  Holy crap!  I know I'm a weird girl, but I'm so excited about my new vacuum!  It rocks! 
Dane showing his artistic side!
 Of course we played in the snow!

 Dane holding his sis!

 Today Dane wanted to bake, so we made some muffins.  Here he is filling the muffin tin.
Kimber is doing well.  She is a good baby, but doesn't sleep like Dane did.  Up until a few nights ago she was waking up numerous times a night, with teething, a cold, and growing she just wanted to nurse a lot.  Between work, trying to run, keeping up the house, etc, I had reached that point where I was just exhausted.  When I'm that tired I cry too much.  I'm not mean, I'm not really witchy...  I just cry.  My Dad had a saying when I was a kid...  he said "just go to sleep and everything will look better in the morning."  So true.  Anyway, this weekend, I got sleep.  Lots of it.  Like 10 hours two nights in a row!  Kimber settled down and is only waking up once or twice!  Woo hoo!  I feel like a new women!  It's amazing what a little sleep will do! 
Now we are back at it for another good week! 

2 comments:

Hauptmanns in Hawaii said...

I love this post!! It's like a journal entry. i love your dad's saying-that's perfect. The picts of the kids are so sweet.

Karl said...

Tanya, I monitor your blog daily and I've been really enjoying it over the years. I love the new look, too.

You two are great parents and I'm blessed to have you for friends. The kids are sure growing fast. Glad to hear Kimber is sleeping more, the sleep depravation is killer.