Monday, November 22, 2010

A great weekend!!!

Last weekend we had such a wonderful time enjoying the Montana outdoors.  The weather was still pretty temperate so our goal was to get a couple more deer to top off the freezer before the really cold weather hits.  Boy are we glad that our weekend was so successful because now it's about 1 degree outside with the high being around -10 tomorrow.   Woo hoo!!!!  We will be ice fishing before we know it!

Here is Dane playing in the leaves
The next day we headed out to see if we couldn't find an antelope for my last permit.  Well, they have been very well educated and now hang out in the middle of the flattest, biggest field they can find.  So, after blowing 2 stalks I had chased them all off huntable land and decided to go look for some deer. 
After glassing some State land, Clint spotted a whitetail and made a great shot, harvesting a beautiful little buck.  The kids and I had stayed in the truck so he came back and got us.  Here we are headed out to help him pack his deer back to the truck!  One kiddo on my front...  one kiddo on my back!
Here is Dane and his Daddy with the beautiful whitetail that he harvested.
Then the next morning Grandma took Kimber for us, and we went out to Freezeout Lake because the snow geese were in town.  There was supposed to be 30,000 birds which is awesome because then it pushes them out of the protected area into the huntable area.  Well, we showed up and there definitely wasn't 30,000 birds, so they all hung out where we couldn't shoot them.  Dane had a good time helping with the decoys and then just playing!

When we got home, the boys laid down for a nap, and I decided to call one of the landowners that lets us hunt.  He said, "come on out" and so I woke up Clint and we got ready to go deer hunting.  Both kids got to come along, and once again we had a wonderful, successful evening.  I was able to harvest a doe and then the landowner allowed me to shoot a buck as well.  I don't have any pictures of the buck, but here is Dane with my doe!

Lastly, here are some pictures of the snow geese hanging out where they can't get hunted!  They are truly beautiful though!

No comments: