Friday, October 26, 2007

Brock's first deer hunt!





Well, I came home yesterday morning from Butte, and decided to take Brock for his first deer hunt, as Tanya was at work and could not make it for our outing. Brock and I have shot some ducks and snipe together, but big game has been hard for us to find on our outings. As I picked up Brock from school, I only hoped to find a nice doe and make Brock's first deer hunt a success. Needless to say, the deer gods were smiling on us, because we found a real nice buck. We parked on a piece of seemingly unproductive public land not far from Great Falls. I only expected to see a doe or two, which would have filled the bill just fine. But after fording a creek, and crossing into the first canyon, I saw some antlers peeking out of the grass. Long of the short is after a good belly crawl, and a big bang, Brock got his first close up look at a deer. No ground shrinkage on this one, as he got bigger as we got closer to him. We decided to take the buck out in one piece, and after a couple of hard hours of dragging, he was in the truck. Brock was a good helper, and has a new found respect for deer. Although I wish Tanya could have been with us to share the moment, It was a treat to see Brock experience his first deer hunt. P.S. I told Brock not to expect deer like this every time we go out,,,,, as I don't think I can keep up those standards for very long.

1 comment:

Carrie Doty said...

From Brock's Mom: What a proud little boy! He came home and called everyone he knew to brag about "his" first deer! After dinner and a shower to wash off "war paint" he crashed at 8:15!You gave him a life long memory...thank you for all you do.